Friday, August 24, 2007

Bridge to Terabithia

Bridge to Terabithia was an excellent movie. I have never read the book, but my sister Katie always told me it was a good one. It's on my giant list of books to read!! Since it's a children's novel, I may wait until Kile is old enough to read it!

I was mislead by the marketing for this movie. It focused on the fantasy elements and billed it as another Chronicles of Narnia. This movie was far from it. It was the story of a boy named Jess Aarons. His family has a hard time making it and doesn't have much money. He has four sisters and feels misunderstood both at home and at school. He is an artist, but is also proud of his ability to run fast. He and all of the other boys are beaten on the first day of school by a new girl, Leslie Burke. Annoyed with her at first, Jess and Leslie eventually become best friends. They love to play in the woods close to their home and together imagine an entire kingdom of Terebithia (hence some fantasty elements). Tragedy strikes and I shed some tears. It had an excellent follow through and ending on how to deal with tragedy.

I highly recommend this movie. It might be hard for young children to watch with the very sad tragedy that happens. It has a great plot and many good life lessons.

No comments:

Post a Comment