Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day

I watched Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day about a week and a half ago. It was a cute movie. I am a great fan of 1930's romantic comedies. This movie reminded me of the old movies I love, especially because of it's 1930's London setting. It was interesting to watch the documentary on the DVD and discover that it was a novel written in the 1930's and sold for film rights at that time, but put off because of WWII.

Miss Pettigrew (Frances McDormand) is a governess who has just lost her job. In desperate straights, she steals the business card of a woman from the employment office that needs a governess. Much to her surprise, Delysia Lafosse (Amy Adams) does not need a governess, but a social secretary to juggle her many men. Miss Pettigrew puts away her misgivings and goes with the whirlwind for the day.

I loved both women in these roles. I liked Miss Pettigrew's makeover and the fact that she also had a romance with the excellent Ciaran Hinds as Joe Blomfeld. I loved the 1930's music and the foreshadowing of WWII. Overall, I enjoyed the movie. It's a light and sweet movie.

1 comment: