Wednesday, December 31, 2008

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer & Annie Barrows

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer & Annie Barrows was another excellent read and one of my best reads of 2008. This book is a story told by letters to and from a newspaper columnist, Juliet, and the members of the Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, and Juliet's editor and friends. The story is of the formation of the society during the occupation of Guernsey by the Germans during WWII.

I loved the inside tragic story of Elizabeth the fonding member of the society. The power of the book to me is that it tells a well rounded story of what it was like during WWII. The autrocities that were committed were hard to stomach, and hard for me to imagine. Although some of them seem to be paralled in the middle east during my lifetime. Although there were many atrocities, there were also Germans who were good people and just like you or me.

This book is a quick read and quite enjoyable. I highly recommend it. I hear a crying baby so I'll work more on catching up with my Christmas romance novel reads later . . .

1 comment:

  1. I just finished this book and will review it for my blog very soon-I flat out loved it!

    ReplyDelete