Wednesday, March 18, 2009

The Agency by Ally O'Brien

I started this book this morning, read it off and on while nursing the baby, and had it finished by the end of the day. So . . . it is a very quick read!!

At first I did not like this book. There are a lot of crass statements in the first few chapters that I didn't like reading. The heroine, Tess Drake, is also very unlikeable. I thought about giving the book up, but the plot sucked me in.

Tess is a high powered agent in London. Her personal life is non-existent unless you count sleeping with other women's husbands. After the mysterious death of her boss, Tess is thinking about striking out on her own and starting her own company. The only problem is that two women have a vendetta against Tess and are trying to ruin her. Add to that fact that her star author is being accused of plagarism and she has been framed for murder. . . and you have an interesting situation.
I loved the mystery and couldn't put the book down until I knew how it was resolved. I didn't like Tess, but I did admire her gumption by the end. I also liked how she called her lover by the nickname of "Darcy." Any Pride and Prejudice reference always brings a smile to my face.

If you are looking for a quick, light read, I would recommend this book. If you do not like explicit language, I would skip it.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you liked it Laura. I have this one on my shelf but just haven't had a chance to read it yet.

    ReplyDelete