Wednesday, May 20, 2009

My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult

My Sister's Keeper was my personal pick for the Lakeshore Mom's book club this month. I read the book two years ago and knew it was a page turning, fantastic story that is especially relevant to mothers. To read a summary of the plot of this novel, please see my previous blog about this novel. I think it was a good book club pick, everyone told me before book club how much they enjoyed it and couldn't put it down. I had the same experience, it was my second time reading the novel, but I couldn't put it down. After a nail bitting Lost finale last week, I stayed up late to finish My Sister's Keeper. And I wonder why I never get enough sleep!

We had a great discussion of this novel yesterday at book club at my house from a mother's prospective. On one hand, we had one member who though the mother, Sara, was way overboard on protecting her sick daughter Kate. On the other hand, another member could see how one could get this protective and would give anything to cure their sick daughter. It was a good talk.

If you are looking for a good page turning summer read that you can't put down, I highly recommend this book. It would be a timely read as a movie based on the novel is coming out at the end of June. See the trailer here. I am a little disturbed by the casting (Cameron Diaz is not old enough by a good decade and Alec Baldwin is too old by two decades) and very disturbed about the rumored change in the excellent novel ending. But I still want to see the movie besides my misgiving!

1 comment:

  1. Our book club read this a couple of years ago and we had a wonderful discussion. I can't wait for the movie!

    ReplyDelete