Thursday, July 9, 2009

Ratatouille (2007)

Ratatouille is a 2007 Pixar film that was also the Best Animated Feature Oscar winner. My 3-year son Kile chose this film from the library this past weekend to watch. He was intrigued by the “rat that cooks” as Kile likes to cook.

The film follows Remy, a rat who has an enhanced sense of smell that dreams of becoming a chef, much to the dismay of his father Django. When Remy is accidentally separated from his hive, he stumbles upon the restaurant of the deceased Gusteau. Gusteau is Remy’s idol and his sort of Jiminy Cricket guide. Remy befriends the young kitchen garbage boy, Linguini, and helps him to become a great chef. This infuriates Skinner, the current owner. Linguini also starts a friendship and flirtation with Colette, the only female chef.

I was surprised by the movie. I was not sure what to think about it at first (rats in a kitchen?), but I really liked it by the end. My husband Ben gave it his rare stamp of approval. At the end, Kile said, “Let’s watch it again!” He rarely says this except for his favorite movies, such as Cars. It was a cute movie and had some good humor scenes.

2 comments:

  1. I was skeptical before watching this one, but we also enjoyed it. Since my youngest just graduated from high school it's going to get harder to watch these movies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was (surprisingly) charmed by this movie. I'd definitely recommend it.

    ReplyDelete