Friday, June 25, 2010

Daughters of Witching Hill by Mary Sharratt

I read a great review of Daughters of Witching Hill when it came out in April and I picked up a copy from my local library right away. Daughters of Witching Hill is a very intriguing historical fiction novel about the Pendle witch hunt in England in 1612. I was not familiar with this period of history and I was very interested to learn more about it.

Bess Southerns is a local healing woman who uses ancient Catholic mysticism as part of her healing charms. It is now the time of the reformed Church of England and any hint of Catholicism can lead to trouble. Bess and her family live in the Pendle Forest outside of the village. She teaches her granddaughter Alizon her arts. Alizon has a tussle with peddler, which leads a local magistrate to decide to gain power by starting a local witch hunt frenzy.


Overall this was a good historical fiction novel, but not one that burned itself in my memory. I’m having a hard time remembering the details after two months!


Book Source: The Kewaunee Public Library

No comments:

Post a Comment