Sense and Sensibility Bicentenary Challenge. I love Austen challenges and was happy to join. I aimed for the "Disciple" level with 5-8 Sense and Sensibility inspired entries. I landed squarely in this level after reviewing seven Sense and Sensibility items in 2011. These items were as follows:
1. I Have Found It
2. Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen, audiobook read by Juliet Stevenson
3. Sense and Sensibility (2008)
4. Sense and Sensibility (1995)
5. The Sense and Sensibility Screenplays and Diaries by Emma Thompson
6. From Prada to Nada (2011)
7. Expectations of Happiness: A Companion Volume to Jane Austen's Sense and Sensibility by Rebecca Ann Collins
Overall, I ended up watching many more of my items than reading. I somewhat disappointed myself in this regard, but there is only so much time in the day! It was fun to watch the different versions of Sense and Sensibility and compare (I had also watched the 1981 version in the fall of 2010 right before this challenge). The 1995 version starring Emma Thompson is still my overall favorite version. It was enhanced by reading the screenplay and diaries for the first time.
Expectations of Happiness was an excellent follow-up to Sense and Sensibility. I need to check out more novels by Rebecca Ann Collins in future years. While I love Pride and Prejudice, I feel overwhelmed by the sheer volume of Mr. Darcy spin-offs. It was nice to revisit other favorite characters with this Sense and Sensibility challenge.
With that being said, I can't wait until 2013, the two-hundred year anniversary of the publication of Pride and Prejudice. I can only hope that Austenprose will host another great challenge to celebrate.