Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Muppet Treasure Island (1996)

I was a great fan of the Muppets as a child, but this movie came out just when I was graduating from high school so I wasn’t at the right age to go and see it.  My sons love pirates and my husband and I wanted to introduce them to the Muppets so we watched this movie last month.
Muppet Treasure Island tells the class tall of Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson if Treasure Island was a musical and the supporting roles were taken by Muppets.  Kermit is Captain Smollett and Miss Piggy is “Benjamina” Gunn.  Humans play the characters of Jim Hawkins and Long John Silver.  The plot line follows similar to the book, but with key differences (such as young Jim being an orphan and the ending). 

My sons LOVED this movie and really want to watch it again.  They particularly liked the music and thought the Muppets were pretty funny.  I enjoyed the music too except for the occasional “off” piece such as young Jim’s solo at the beginning and the rendition of “cabin fever” in the middle.  I thought Tim Curry’s performance as Long John Silver was a bit over the top in a mustache twirling type way. In the book I thought he was more of a mystery on his motives.

Overall though, Muppet Treasure Island is a good family movie to watch together with the basic plot of Treasure Island.

Movie Source:  The Kewaunee Public Library

No comments:

Post a Comment