Thursday, July 5, 2012

Legend by Marie Lu

I’ve fallen behind on my reviews again so I’m going to do a couple of quick reviews in a sad attempt to make some headway on catching myself back up.


Readers of this blog know that I have an addiction to many different types of books, and young adult post-apocalyptic novels are among my favorites. I read a review of Legend by Marie Lu in Entertainment Weekly sometime last year around December or so and I put it on my “must” list of books to read.

The United States has been divided after natural disasters volcanic in nature with the Republic controlling the Western United States and perpetually at war with the Eastern Colonies.

Two different plucky teens have grown up in the this world and dare to challenge it. June is a fifteen year old military protégé with a perfect score at her Trials, and a member of one of the wealthiest districts. When the unthinkable happens to her brother, she sets up to track down the culprit, fifteen year old Day. Day is the Republic’s most wanted criminal and grew up in the poorest part of town. Meeting Day and living life in the poor part of town, June starts to realize that the truth has she has been taught by the Republic, is anything but the truth.

Legend is told in first person in alternating chapters by June and Day. I liked this format, although I didn’t like the gold font used in the book for Day. I could have figured out what character I was reading without the font. I really enjoyed this book, it was action packed and good for those, like me that enjoys a young adult post-apocalyptic adventure. Was it as good as the Hunger Games? No, but it was good enough that I will eagerly read the next book when it is published. I would knock it down a star from The Hunger Games as I was able to guess a lot of the action and actually the world reminded me a lot of the evil future government of The Hunger Games or of Matched.

Book Source: The Kewaunee Public Library

1 comment:

  1. I actually loved both narrators here and I thought that it was pretty clear who was narrating when but I did enjoy the special touch added by the gold font.

    ReplyDelete