Friday, June 21, 2013

Daddy’s Gone a Hunting by Mary Higgins Clark

Title: Daddy’s Gone a Hunting


Author: Mary Higgins Clark

Read by: Jan Maxwell

Publisher: Simon & Shuster Audio

Length: Approximately 9 hours (8 CDs)

Source: Simon & Schuster Audio Review Copy – Thanks!

I have been a fan of Mary Higgins Clark since I first started reading her books as a teen. I was fortunate enough to hear her speak and meet her at a book signing in Milwaukee about ten years ago. It was very exciting. Her talk about her life and writing was very inspiring.


Her latest novel, Daddy’s Gone a Hunting, was a perfect book to engage you in an audio format. I loved listening to it on my way to and from work. I usually don’t listen to audiobooks with my kids around, but it accidentally came on one day when we got in the car on the way to Green Bay. In that part of the novel, a mysterious fire was being investigated. The boys begged to listen to it, and my 7 and 5 year old were quiet for the half an hour trip listening to it with fascination. I was amazed. There was a murder after they stopped listening so I didn’t let them listen to all of it, but I will keep it in mind that this is something they like for the future! What I really liked was that the audio was not vulgar or sensational on the details of the murder.

In Daddy’s Gone a Hunting, the Connelly Fine Furniture Antique reproductions factory and museum has burned down in the middle of the night. Mysteriously, Kate Connelly, the daughter of the owner, and a disgruntled former employee, Gus Schmidt are there in the blaze. Gus unfortunately doesn’t make it, and Kate ends up in a coma. Kate’s younger sister Hannah tries to keep the blame for the fire off of Kate and prays for her recovery. Kate’s father Doug is seemingly more concerned about getting the insurance money for the factory, and the tragedy harkens back to past family misfortunes.

The mystery deepens with a vast cast of interesting characters and a plot that soon involves murder. It kept me guessing right up until the thrilling conclusion. I told my husband I was ready to drive around the block a few times to finish the book up. I did bring it in the house and finish it as I couldn’t wait until my next drive.

I don’t know if I noticed as much when I was younger, but I was interested in the references to Catholicism in this book. Higgins-Clark has her characters express their faith be they faithful or lapsed Catholics with two Priests playing a minor role in the drama. I liked it.

Jan Maxwell was a fantastic narrator of this audiobook. I could listen to her narrate all day. I will definitely keep my eye out for more audiobooks that she narrates.

There was a slight downfall to the book, but it is related to the ending. I loved the ending, but wasn’t convinced on the motives of the killer in his initial deception. I want to discuss this with someone, but I also don’t want to ruin the ending so I will leave it at that.

Overall Daddy’s Gone a Hunting was a riveting mystery that translated wonderfully to an audiobook version and definitely made my long drives to work more enjoyable.

2 comments:

  1. I think I would prefer this book as audio rather than print. It`s been ages since I read a Marie Higgins Clark book. I love the way it engaged your boys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It had been awhile since I had read a Mary Higgins Clark myself. I really did enjoy it in the audio version and it made me think I should pick up some of the Higgins Clark books that I haven't read in the same format!

    ReplyDelete