Saturday, February 1, 2014

Takedown Twenty by Janet Evanovich



Title: Takedown Twenty
Author: Janet Evanovich
Read by: Lorelei King
Publisher: Random House Audio
Length: 5 CDs, approximately 5 hours
Source: Kewaunee Public Library.  Thank-you!

I love Lorelei King.  She is a wonderful audiobook narrator.  The voices she does for each character are unique and fun to listen to. Truthfully, I would have given up on the Stephanie Plum novels a few books ago if I didn’t have Lorelei King to listen to.  I felt the same way at the end of this novel. 
In Takedown Twenty, Stephanie Plum and her sidekick Lula are trying to find Salvatore Sunucchi, better known as “Uncle Sunny.”  He has skipped out on a high dollar bond and Stephanie needs to capture him to pay the rent.  Unfortunately he is beloved in Trenton and no one is happy that Stephanie is trying to track him, especially Bella, Stephanie’s boyfriend Joe’s grandmother.  

Stephanie and Lula are also helping Stephanie’s other flame Ranger try to solve the mystery of a killer that is killing old ladies in town and leaving them in garbage dumpsters.  I liked the mystery, but it seemed like it had a rather sudden conclusion.  After twenty novels, Stephanie still has not shown any growth.  She thinks about making a decision between Ranger and Joe, but fails to do so in this novel.  I think it would bring these books back if she could make a choice and the hilarity that would occur as Stephanie got married, tried to settle down, and had kids.

Overall, Takedown Twenty is another lackluster edition to the Stephanie Plum novels, but the narration by Lorelei King on the audiobook edition saves the day.

1 comment:

  1. I wish I had tried these on audio instead of in print. I may have liked them better. As is, I only read two and decided they weren't worth my time.

    ReplyDelete