Monday, May 19, 2014

Dust by Patricia Cornwell

Title: Dust
Author: Patricia Cornwell
Read by:  Kate Reading
Publisher: Penguin
Audio
Length: 14 hours (12 CDs)
Source:  Review Copy from Penguin Thanks!

Massachusetts Chief Medical Examiner Kay Scarpetta is homebound and sick with the flu after returning from examining a horrifying tragedy in Newtown, Connecticut.  There is no rest for Kay Scarpetta as her former employee Detective Pete Marino drops by to pick her up early in the morning to investigate a murder.  The victim was found at MIT and is a computer programmer, Gail Shipton, a woman that is currently involved in a messy lawsuit as well as with Kay’s niece Lucy.  Complicating matters further, Kay’s husband, FBI profiler Benton Wesley, helicopters to the scene and suspects that the murder is work of a serial killer he has been investigating in Washington, D.C.  Benton cannot determine the motivation of the killer, and also suspects that there may be corruption in the FBI that is trying to cover the killer’s tracks.

Kay Scarpetta is quite the heroine.  She is smart, sexy, and sure that she is right.  She’s cool under pressure even when doubts about Lucy and Pete fill her mind.  She is fascinating.  I enjoyed the mystery of this audiobook and finding out the resolution, but mostly I find myself riveted by Kay Scarpetta and how she will figure this one out.  I would love to watch her in a TV show or movie.

I listened to this as an audiobook and enjoyed it immensely.  Kate Reading is one of the best narrators in the business and did another excellent job with this novel.   I especially enjoy listening to intriguing mysteries on my long drives to and from work as they keep me interested and make the drive go by fast.  

Overall, another great chapter in the Kay Scarpetta books.  I’ve listened to the last two now and really need to back track to read the rest of the series.  I also look forward to the next novel

No comments:

Post a Comment