Wednesday, September 17, 2014

I’ve Got You Under My Skin by Mary Higgins Clark




Title: I’ve Got You Under My Skin
Author: Mary Higgins Clark
Read by:  Jan Maxwell
Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Audio
Length: 7.5 hour (7 CDs)
Source:  Review Copy from Simon & Schuster – Thanks!

I’ve Got You Under My Skin was the best Mary Higgins Clark that I’ve read / listened to in years.  I’ve been a Mary Higgins Clark fan since I was a teenager and was able to listen to her speak and get an autograph around ten years ago at a Milwaukee Public Library event.  I learned at that event that I can admire authors, but have a hard time thinking of anything to say once it is my turn for an autograph.  I become instantly tongue tied when faced with someone I admire.

I’ve Got You Under My Skin is a riveting mystery that is great for making my long drive to and from work go by swiftly.  The novel starts with the brutal murder of a young doctor in front of his three year old son, Timmy.  The murderer tells young Timmy that his mother is next and then it will be him.  Five years later, Timmy’s mother Laurie is putting together a reality show that features cold cases and a recreation of the events by those involved.  Her first show will be based on the murder of wealthy Betsy Powell the evening of a lavish graduation gala that she held for her daughter Claire and three of Claire’s friends.  The graduates have lived with a cloud of suspicion over them for the last twenty years and all are more than happy to accept money both from the production and Betsy’s husband to have a chance to clear their names.  The story is split between the Betsy Powell mystery and Laurie’s mystery.  I liked how the two stories intertwined and kept me guessing on who the murderers would be and also what they had for motives.

I haven’t read all of Higgins Clark’s novels, but of the ones I have read the past ten years or so, this is my favorite.  The characters were great and the storyline was crisp.  I also like how there is no vulgar language or sex scenes.  It’s also very impressive that Mary Higgins Clark is now 86 years old and still manages to write such great novels.   This mystery was perfect as an audiobook and Jan Maxwell was a wonderful narrator.

Overall, if you are looking for a good mystery on audio, I’ve Got You Under My Skin is an excellent choice that will keep you intrigued.

2 comments:

  1. I've read her books over the years. This one is a new one for me. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laura, I'm glad you enjoyed listening to this on your way to work and back home. It sounds like a frightening but good mystery. Amazing that the author is 86!

    ReplyDelete