If you can read books from only one genre for the rest of your life, what genre would it be? That’s a hard one for me as I love so many different genres, but it would probably be historical fiction.
Kallie Me has grown up in the Appalachian Mountains dreaming of going to school to learn to read and of her love for Quinn Spencer. After her mother dies, Kallie Mae must put away her dreams to raise her infant sister. Her father won’t put aside his feud with the Spencers and Kallie Mae is no longer able to visit Quinn. Now six years later, Kallie Mae runs into Quinn again and old feelings flare. Will she be able to chase her dreams after all?
My thoughts on this novel:
• This is a Romeo & Juliet or forbidden romance story between Kallie Mae and Quinn. I enjoyed this love story. It was well developed, romantic, and sweet. They were both hardworking, caring people who took care of their families. They were perfect for one another.
• This was a lovely story and I enjoyed reading it back in May.
• This book could be classified as Southern fiction, historical romance, and family drama. It was also a clean read with Christian themes of forgiveness and reconciliation.
• It is set in Kentucky in 1911.
• I loved the complex characters that were well written and fleshed out. I especially loved wise old Aunt Sudie and little sister Emmie.
• I was intrigued to learn about Cora Wilson Stewart, the founder of adult literacy in the United States. This was new history to me.
• The story uses Appalachian dialogue.
Overall, A Chance for Kallie Mae by Ann H. Gabhart was an engaging historical romance with great characters and story. I enjoyed the new to me history on adult literacy education in the United States.
Book Source: Thank-you to @annhgabhart @revellfiction @greatreadsbookpromo for a review copy of the novel as part of the Great Reads Promo Book Tour.

No comments:
Post a Comment