Monday, September 14, 2026

The Astral Library by Kate Quinn

 


What types of books do you like to read on vacation?  I read all sorts of books and especially love escapism reads for vacation.  The Astral Library fit the bill for my vacation in August!

Alix Watson grew up in the foster care system and is struggling with adult life.  She works hard but can barely make ends meet.  Her one safe place has been libraries and her favorite books including classics and fantasy.  One day she stumbles upon a hidden library and a unique librarian which gives her a chance to choose a book world to live in. While Alix is making her decision, the librarian and library come under attack.  Will Alix be able to help save this magical place?

My thoughts on this novel:

·       Have you ever wanted to live in a book?  This story answers that question.

·       It’s a love letter to libraries and book lovers everywhere. So many favorite books and characters were mentioned such as Jane Eyre, Anne of Green Gables, Sherlock Holmes, Jane Austen, etc.

·       I loved the thought of living in a magical world and how it helped vulnerable people to find a safe place.

·       Alix’s friend and love interest, Beau Sator-Jones was delightful.  He is a historical costume expert and designer.  He is fascinating and a good person.  The description of the fantastic costumes was riveting.  I love historical costumes!

·       Alix still has a lot of emotion and feelings about being left by her mother as a child.  She works through this most of the book and how to move on.

·       I liked the mysteries. What happened to Alix’s mom?  Who is trying to take over the library?

·       The Boston Public Library is a gateway to the Astral Library.  I liked the thought and imagery of your public library being the gateway to fantastic worlds.

·       I enjoyed that the librarian for the Astral Library was also a book dragon.

·       I would categorize this book as magical realism, fantasy, and contemporary.

Overall, The Astral Library by Kate Quinn was a wonderful escapism read perfect for book lovers.

Book Source:  Purchased from Amazon.com

No comments:

Post a Comment