Monday, September 17, 2012

Victorian Challenge Posts - August, September, & October

As you may have noticed, I have been having a hard time keeping up with the Victorian Challenge since I started my new job in May.  I sincerely apologize.  When I made plans for this challenge, I didn't realize that I would be starting a full time job half way through the year and developing an entire new program.  Things will slow down once all of my classes are developed . . . in 2014!!

August, September, and October are celebrations of some of my favorite Victorian authors: 

August: Anthony Trollope

September: Elizabeth Gaskell
October: Mark Twain

Have you been reading these authors?  What are you favorite works by these authors?  If you have any great guest blogs for these authors, I would be more than happy to post them.

Link to your Victorian Challenge reviews below.  As usual, make sure to include your blog name and your entry in the following format:  Laura's Reviews (North and South).  Post all items from these date forward at this post, but you can also repost items you may have already read by Trollope, Gaskell, or Twain.

Thank-you for your patience and your great reviews!





5 comments:

  1. Well my favourite books are the Barchester Chronicles, then the Palliser novels (also loved the TV series too, Barchester I have on DVD, always great, and many years ago I watched the Pallisers, Susan Hampshire was so great as Glencora and in Barchester too.)

    This time I've read one I hadn't read before, He Knew he was Right. It wasn't my all-time favourite over the two above, but I read it fairly quickly, my speed hastened towards the end, as I wanted to find out what happened in the end. Not quite the ending I had imagined.

    I am halfway through North and South (which I have read and watched on DVD a few times).

    Finally I have also started Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, another great illustrated edition (with Robert Ingpen as illustrator, same artist as the Treasure Island edition I read). It has been fun browsing the children's section too!!

    regards
    Julie in Australia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just read Ghosh's Sea of Poppies set in 1838 just before the opium wars, a great Victorian historical novel, I can highly recomend. I seem to be reading a lot of historical fiction, I really need to read a few more classics.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just read another novel with a Victorian setting, Terry Pratchett's Dodger, written for young adults it is a wonderful romp through Victorian slums and sewers in the company of amongst others Charles Dickens. This is a great read for adults as well as younger readers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just read William Morris utopian fantasy News from Nowhere, so I will include that as another title for the Victorian challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Popped in to record the last 3 months that I've blogged about. Enjoyed the last 3 authors, posts are via the top under "Laura's Victorian challenge"

    Can't believe its December already, on to the last one now, Little Women!

    ReplyDelete