All About the Brontes Challenge in 2010 and greatly enjoyed it. Last year I had a newborn baby girl, and with her I had three children ages four and under so I took a year off! In October I opened up a survey to readers of this blog to determine whether I should bring back All About the Brontes or a new challenge. It was determined from the poll and the comments that most people were looking for a new challenge in which the Brontes were included, but other authors could also be explored. A Victorian Challenge won the poll by a slim margin, and I look forward to a new challenge.
For the Victorian Challenge, we will focus on the reign of Queen Victoria from 1837 to 1901. We will count books that were written by Victorian authors during this time period, books set during the Victorian age, or books about a Victorian author, history, manners, architecture, Queen Victoria etc. Also besides reading books, short stories, audiobooks and movies will also be accepted. The sky is the limit; I would love to make this a true celebration of all things Victorian.
I would also like to challenge myself to have one Victorian author to focus on for each month of 2012. I will post something about that author each month and will read, listen, or watch something related to that author as well. Fellow challenge goers can join me if they would like, or can take the challenge in any direction that they choose. I had a poll in November to help pick the twelve Victorian authors readers of this blog were most interested in focusing on and the following authors were picked:
January: The Bronte Sisters
February: Charles Dickens
March: Robert Louis Stevenson
April: Emily Dickinson
May: Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
June: George Eliot
July: Oscar Wilde
August: Anthony Trollope
September: Elizabeth Gaskell
October: Mark Twain
November: Lewis Carroll
December: Louisa May Alcott
I was part of a great Victorian Challenge in 2009. If you need ideas for books you would like to explore, take a look at this site.
1. The Victorian Challenge 2012 will run from January 1st to December 31st, 2012. You can post a review before this date if you wish.
2. You can read a book, watch a movie, or listen to an audiobook, anything Victorian related that you would like. Reading, watching, or listening to a favorite Victorian related item again for the second, third, or more time is also allowed. You can also share items with other challenges.
3. The goal will be to read, watch, listen, to 2 to 6 (or beyond) anything Victorian items.
4. Please sign-up by posting your blog entry on the number of items and what items you would like to do for this challenge below in Mr. Linky (Don't just post your blog's URL). Don't worry, you can do different things than you have listed. I myself am not always good at sticking to lists!
5. You can still join even if you do not have a blog. Just post the title of the book you read (movie you watched, etc.) in the comments along with your thoughts on the item to promote discussion.
6. I will put up a post each month with Mr. Linky on it for posting your reviews. Look at the right sidebar for the latest link.
2 minutes ago