Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Mama Mia!

I finally got to see Mama Mia! this past weekend. I have a passion for musicals and enjoy the music of Abba, so I was excited to see what this movie had to offer.

Mama Mia! is a mother-daughter story of Donna (Meryl Streep) and Sophie (Amanda Seyfried) on a fictional greek island. Sophie is a 20 - year old planning her wedding. She does not know who her father is, but upon discovering her mother's journal, she makes the shocking revelation that she has not 1, not 2, but 3 possible fathers. She sends invitations to her wedding to all three potential fathers and they all accept. Donna is a little more than flumoxed when all three old suitors show up on her doorstep. Will Amanda discover who her real father is? Will Donna ever find true love?

The storyline was pretty simple, but the music was fantastically intigrated into it. I really enjoyed the songs . . . but not the singers. Meryl Streep's voice really left something to be desired. I really hate when they hire well known actors to place musical roles that can't sing. Sometimes it works great (Ewan McGregor in Moulin Rouge) and sometimes not so great (Renee Zellweger in Chicago) when the actor can not really sing that well. I also really liked the disco clothes when they were worn, but other costumes left something to be disired. Someone should shoot the designer who put Meryl Streep in the overall bibs. While I like bibs, that outfit did not suite her.

I really enjoyed Pierce Brosnan in his role in the movie, and was entertained by the movie. Overall, I liked it, but did not love it. I'm actually not that big of a Meryl Streep fan (I know - shoot me!), and I really don't like Christine Baranski. I think that's why I had a hard time connecting with their characters. I also thought the ending was too cute. I really just wanted them to figure out who the dad was!! What were your thoughts? Anyone else in the "like not love" category. I know this movie did supremely well in the box office . . . there must be some "lovers" out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment