Monday, February 2, 2009

The Sexiest Literary Hero of All Time is . . . Mr. Darcy!


Using a very unscientific method, I polled readers of this blog to find out who their sexiest literary hero is. It was a tight race between newcomer Edward Cullen (26%), but classic hero of the past 200 years, Fitzwilliam Darcy (46%) won in the end. Tied for third was Edward Rochester and Rhett Butler. Sullen Heathcliff received zero votes.


What is is about Mr. Darcy that makes him so sexy? Is it his description in Pride and Prejudice or are you colored by his portrayel onscreen by Colin Firth, Laurence Oliver, Matthew Mcfayden, etc?


To me Mr. Darcy is sexy because he is an aloof, misunderstood individual that we later determine has a heart of gold. Jane Austen cleverly makes us hate him at first, and then slowly peels away the layers to show us how he is a great guy that just wants to help his friends and family out and remain a gentleman. I find it hard to describe why I find him such a sexy character . . . but he drives me to read numerous Pride and Prejudice inspired novels. Why do you think he is such a sexy character?
What other characters do you find sexy? I think Jamie Fraser in the Outlander series is also quite sexy. Captain Wentworth from Persuasion is my second favorite Austen hero. I'm just curious - so please post away!
My February polls are inspired Valentine's day polls about love. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment