Monday, January 11, 2010

Music Inspired by the Bronte Sisters

The Bronte sisters are culturally significant and references to them and their works can be found pretty much everywhere. They have inspired many novels and movies since the publications of their wonderful works of literature, and they have also inspired music. I’m going to focus on Jane Eyre the musical and Wuthering Heights by Kate Bush. If you have a favorite Bronte inspired song or musical please comment about it!

Jane Eyre – The Musical
I have enjoyed listening to this CD that I checked out from the library for the past month. The songs are sung by the original Broadway cast from 2000. The lyrics of the songs cover Jane’s time at Lowood School, her time at Thornfield, and falling in love with Mr. Rochester. Where the musical deviates significantly from the book is after Jane leaves Thornfield. It has Jane go back to Mrs. Reed’s and meet St. John Rivers who is living in the home with the dying Mrs. Reed. Mrs. Reed leaves Jane her fortune and Jane must decide whether to marry St. John and become a missionary’s wife or go back to Mr. Rochester. As usual, the second act of the book is shortened and also changed significantly for dramatic affect.

While none of the songs had a soaring and memorable attribute to them such as songs from Phantom of the Opera or Les Miserables, they were enjoyable. I particularly enjoyed “The Proposal.” (Watch and listen to a clip on youtube - and see Jane and Rochester kiss!) Sample lyric from Mr. Rochester,

“Jane, you are my second self
And Jane, Don’t you see the truth?
That you are the heart of my life.”

I also love this lyric from Mr. Rochester in the same song,

“JANE, TO MAKE YOU AS IN LOVE WITH ME
AS I AM IN LOVE WITH YOU
BE MY WIFE
SAY MY NAME!”

Overall enjoyable for any fans of Jane Eyre, unless you are a stickler for an accurate St. John part of the novel.

Wuthering Heights Song by Kate Bush
One year ago in January, I chose Wuthering Heights for my Lakeshore Mom’s Club Book Club Pick (read my rather detailed review of Wuthering Heights here). To try to convince my fellow book club members of the cultural significance that Wuthering Heights played, I sent them the Youtube link to this music video for Wuthering Heights by Kate Bush. They were very impressed by Ms. Bush’s dancing skills from the 1970’s, and we all got a good laugh out of it.

Cheesy dancing aside, I really like the song. Ms. Bush sings it rather high, but I also like the Pat Benatar version. Sarah McLachlan also sang a version of this song as did various other artists. Kate Bush wrote this song as an 18-year old and recorded it on her debut album, The Kick Inside, in 1978. The song quickly became success in the U.K. and number one single and launched her career.

I love the lyrics of the song:

Out on the wiley, windy moors
We'd roll and fall in green.
You had a temper like my jealousy:
Too hot, too greedy.

How could you leave me,
When I needed to possess you?
I hated you. I loved you, too.

Bad dreams in the night.
They told me I was going to lose the fight,
Leave behind my wuthering, wuthering
Wuthering Heights.

Heathcliff, it's me--Cathy.
Come home. I'm so cold!
Let me in-a-your window.

Heathcliff, it's me--Cathy.
Come home. I'm so cold!
Let me in-a-your window.

Ooh, it gets dark! It gets lonely,
On the other side from you.
I pine a lot. I find the lot
Falls through without you.

I'm coming back, love.
Cruel Heathcliff, my one dream,
My only master.

Too long I roam in the night.
I'm coming back to his side, to put it right.
I'm coming home to wuthering, wuthering,
Wuthering Heights,
Heathcliff, it's me--Cathy.
Come home. I'm so cold!
Let me in-a-your window.

Heathcliff, it's me--Cathy.
Come home. I'm so cold!
Let me in-a-your window.

Ooh! Let me have it.
Let me grab your soul away.
Ooh! Let me have it.
Let me grab your soul away.
You know it's me--Cathy!

Heathcliff, it's me--Cathy.
Come home. I'm so cold!
Let me in-a-your window.
Heathcliff, it's me--Cathy.
Come home. I'm so cold!
Let me in-a-your window.
Heathcliff, it's me--Cathy.
Come home. I'm so cold

My favorite lyric is the Chorus, “ Heathcliff, it's me--Cathy.Come home. I'm so cold!Let me in-a-your window.” I can just envision Cathy’s ghost knocking on Heathcliff’s door begging to be let in. I think this song really captures the essence of the novel, which is pretty hard to do in a short song version!

How do you feel about this song? Please check it out and comment below!

12 comments:

  1. Hey! I was searching for love songs to compare the one I wrote with... and your lyrical content is somewhat inspiring i might say! I wrote up this love song for my girlfriend and it's on youtube, if you like let me know what you think :) By the way, your blog is wayyyy nicer than mine, I didn't know you can get all fancy with this stuff :P
    A Song About Love

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not so sure about the Kate Bush version...way too high and creepy sounding (and that dancing...ugh)! I love this song though. It still remains one of my most favorite by Pat Benatar. The lyrics are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How interesting! I didn't even know there was a musical based on Jane Erye, or a Kate Bush Wuthering Heights music video.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had no idea Jane Eyre had been made into a musical. I'm going to have to track this down.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is fascinating to see the music these books have inspired. It inspires me to get cracking on this Bronte challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an interesting post, Laura! I was not aware that Jane Eyre had been made into a musical! Thank you for posting this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for posting this! I love the bronte sisters and Jane Eyre is one of my favorites. I do believe I am going to go scurry to check out this musical... *runs off*

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Laura !!!
    This is Virginie, one of your friends on GR !!
    Wuthering Heights is my favorite book of all times and I read again and again !!!
    I totally agree with you about Kate Bush's song (such a beautiful song, I loved it since I was 14, since I first heard it on the radio and I read the book because of it)it really captures the atmosphere and essence of the novel.
    I stumbled on your blog through Boof's and I am glad I did, it is a wonderful blog !!
    Love, Virginie

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was lucky enough to see Jane Eyre the musical during it short time on Broadway and loved it! And I still listen to the soundtrack. THere are a few songs on there I love.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I actually think one of the reasongs I read Wuthering Heights was because of the Kate Bush song :) It's so campy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Stacybuckeye - that is very exciting that you got to see it on Broadway! I've sadly only been to NYC once and saw Phantom on Broadway. If only I were independently wealthy and could fly there for Broadway shows whenever the whim came!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I saw Jane Eyre the Musical back in 2000 and I remember just loving it!

    ReplyDelete