Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins

Catching Fire is book two in the Hunger Games series. I loved the Hunger Games and waited eagerly to get Catching Fire from the hold system at the library.

Catching Fire was worth the wait. It only took me a day to finish the book, and I had a hard time putting it down!

Katniss and Peeta have returned to District 12 as victors of The Hunger Games. While Katniss is happy to be back with her family and her best friend Gale, nothing is as it should be. Katniss now lives in Victor’s Village with her mother and sister Prim with Peeta and Haymitch for neighbors. She still sneaks out to the forest to hunt, but is often alone now that Gale must work in the coal mines full time. Gale is not happy about Katniss and Peeta’s romance and has been designated as Katniss’s “cousin” by the Capital press.

President Snow suspects that Katniss and Peeta’s romance is not real on Katniss’ part and is watching Katniss’ every move. As Katniss and Peeta make their victory tour through all of the Districts, they unwittingly start to spark unrest and possible revolts. With the threat of death to her family and Gale, Katniss must prove that her love for Peeta is real and must survive through riveting life and death situations.

There is much more to the novel, but I don’t want to ruin the entire plot! I love this sci-fi, young adult novel. It has action, romance, and also many thoughts to ponder. It is interesting to me how the Capital is full of decadence to the point were the people of the capital take medicine to vomit their food so they can enjoy as much as they like while keeping a trim figure. Meanwhile, people in the Districts are starving. This is probably how America as a whole is viewed by Third World Countries.

I also enjoy the “big brother” feel to the novel where President Snow and select few at the capital seem to be in control of everything. They watch everyone’s moves and try to keep tight control, while keeping their own elite Capital people ignorant. The mass of people are kept in ignorance and fear and the Capital uses that to their advantage. The only problem arises when people start to take control for themselves. It is very interesting, similar, yet different to Orwell’s 1984. I will think more about this when I read Book 3, Mockingjay.

Speaking of Mockingjay, I can’t wait to read the third novel! I’m already on the waiting list at the library! And my last parting thought is “PEETA!!!”

Book Source: The Kewaunee Public Library

6 comments:

  1. PEETA!!! I can't wait for Mockingjay to come out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a fabulous review. I read the book last fall, did not post a review but plan to do a buddy review with my friend this summer...shall see if that pans out.
    Anyway, while I agree with much of you wrote, I just cannot love this book like you do. I know that I am in the minority...but this one left me a bit "meh". I could explain why but then that would put spoilers into the comments...don't like spoilers.

    With that said, I am very much looking forward to Mockingjay because I do like Katniss, Peeta and Gale.

    As far as which team I am on...a very tough one for me. My first instinct is to say Peeta but truth be told...there is something about Gale that is incredibly appealing, we have not seen enough of him, and there is an incredible bond between him and Katniss. I think by the end of Mockingjay we will see Katniss with Gale...or Gale sacrificing himself to save Katniss...something like that. Again...tough choice...so if she does wind up with Peeta then I am a-okay with that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed this book, but did think it was a little repetitive! As much as I am looking forward to Mockingjay, I am hoping that there isn't the same style of conflict in this book!

    I am actually on the fence about Peeta and Gale.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My PEETA exclamation is more because of the way the book ended! Without providing too much in the way of spoilers, I was more than a bit dismayed about his fate and wanted to instantly read on to see what happens to him.

    Truthfully I'm still on the fence between Peeta and Gale. I agree with ibeeg . . . we haven't seen enough yet of Gale for me to make a decision. Gale is mysterious and knows Katniss so well. I hope we get to learn more about him in Mockingjay!

    ReplyDelete
  5. For some reason, I've really built up a wall against this trilogy. Now I'm terrified that I will finally pick up The Hunger Games and find out that I've been wrong all this time. How embarrassing would that be?!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm a huge Gale fan, so we'll have to part ways there. :)

    My local indie is having a midnight release party for MOCKINGJAY, and I'm taking that next day (well, the official release day, August 24th) off of work so I can read it. My husband just laughs. :)

    By the way, I sent you an email. I hope it doesn't go to spam!

    ReplyDelete