Monday, June 14, 2010

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins


I’ve heard a lot of hype about this book so I decided it was time to check it out for myself! While it was kind of slow at the beginning, by the end, I could not put the book down.

The Hunger Games is set in a post-apocalypse North America. The country has been split into 13 Districts, with the 13th District being destroyed for rebellion at some point in the past. The Districts are ruled over by a heartless Capital that keeps them hungry and demands a sacrifice of one girl and one boy chosen by lottery each year for a televised event, The Hunger Games. The premium reality show, the Hunger Games ends when only one of the 12-18 year olds is left alive.

Katniss Everdeen is a sixteen year old girl who lives in District 12 with her mother and young sister, Prim. Her father was killed in a mining accident when she was 12 and she has had to fight to survive by honing her hunting, gathering, and bartering skills. Katniss is horrified to watch as Prim is chosen for the Hunger Games. Katniss volunteers in her place and is then surprised when Peeta Mellark, is chosen as her male colleague from District 12. Peeta had showed her unexpected kindness in the past and Katniss does not relish having him now as a competitor and enemy.

Determined to win at all costs and return to her mother, Prim, and friend Gale, Katniss must learn how to navigate the Hunger Games while winning approval from the public that is ever watching.

I loved this young adult sci-fi novel. With shades of “The Lottery” and “The Lady or the Tiger,” The Hunger Games shows us just how far people could go to keep in power and to provide ruthless entertainment. Katniss is a great heroine and I loved her witty battle to survive the elements and her competitors. I also loved the unexpected love triangle between her, Peeta, and Gale and I can’t wait to see if this is further developed in the next two novels. I know I’ll be reading Catching Fire as soon as I can get it from the library.

I highly recommend The Hunger Games. It is a great adventure story as well as being a commentary on modern society.

Book Source: The Kewaunee Public Library

7 comments:

  1. I, too, have been compelled to read this. I am neither a YA nor a sci-fi reader but my interest has definitely been piqued! Glad it was so engaging for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm about to start the second book, and I am SO SCARED to see the love triangle develop more. I think I want everything to happen, so I'm afraid nothing will make me happy.
    I don't know the books you compared it to, but now I defo want to check them out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved both of these books. I think the third book, Mockinjay, is my most anticipated release for the second half of the year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. brizmus - The Lottery is a short story by Shirley Jackson and The Lady and the Tiger is a short story by Frank Stockton. I highly recommend them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I liked both books. They won't make my favourite all-time books, but they werea good read all the same. I'm looking forward to seeing where the third takes us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I adored The Hunger Games, glad you enjoyed it as well!

    ReplyDelete
  7. YAY - i loved both books and eagerly await the third. glad to hear you liked it too. of course after you read book 2 you must answer the question - team gale? or team peeta?

    ReplyDelete