Friday, June 18, 2010

Little Earthquakes by Jennifer Weiner

Little Earthquakes was the April selection of the FLICKS Book and Movie Club. Sadly I was down and out with morning sickness and was unable to attend the meeting. Jennifer Weiner is one of my favorite contemporary authors. Her heroines are real people about my own age that have their flaws, but are also very funny.

I first read Little Earthquakes five years ago when I was suffering morning sickness while pregnant with my oldest son Kile. How did it measure up this time when I read it with morning sickness with my third unborn child? I feel I loved it even more and got so much more out of it being a mother of two now. It was great reading about other women’s struggles with raising their children and trying to find the right balance between work and family.

For a brief summary, Little Earthquakes is the story of four different mothers living in Philadelphia. Becky is an overweight chef that is married to a fantastic doctor, but has major problems with her mother-in-law. Ayinde is an NBA wife that soon finds herself embroiled in a scandal. Kelly is very perky and seems to have life perfectly planned out or does she? These three meet at a prenatal yoga class and soon become fast friends. The outside of the story is Lia, a woman with a tragic past that soon befriends them all.

The only negative I had was that most of these ladies were very well off financially. It would be really great to read a book about ladies that are more middle of the road financially and more like myself and my friends . . . maybe I need to write such a book! I also wasn’t keen on the Lia story line and would have rather had the book focus on the other trio of friends. Overall though, I really enjoyed this book!

I’m still slowly, but surely catching up with old book reviews while also trying to keep up with my new book reviews. Please bear with me!

Book Source: The Kewaunee Public Library

No comments:

Post a Comment