Saturday, June 19, 2010

Sweet Savage Love by Rosemary Rogers

There is nothing I like more when I feel ill then to curl up to a romance novel. That’s why I found myself pulling Sweet Savage Love out of my pile of books back in April during the height of my morning sickness woes.

Sweet Savage Love is the story of the beautiful daughter of a U.S. Senator who was raised by her in-laws in France named Ginny Brandon. She journeys to America to be with her father and his new wife. Used to a fine style of living, Ginny soon finds herself on a wagon train west with her stepmother guarded by the ruggedly handsome Steve Morgan. Much adventure ensues.

Sweet Savage Love is a romance in the old school. In that there are scenes of violence towards women and the type of romance that repels me . . . if you’ve read romance in the past, you know the type I mean. Where the woman says “no!,” but the man forces her and see finds see likes it. After reading a scene of this, I checked the copyright and sure enough this book was written in 1974. I do not think this is “romantic” and I am glad more modern romances do not use this technique.

While I disliked the many of the more intimate romance scenes, I found myself unable to put the book down. Ginny and Steve had a very romantic chemistry that was great to read. I also really enjoyed the historical content of the book as much of it is set during a very interesting part of Mexico’s history that I knew nothing about.

Overall, it was a good book . . . but only if you could ignore the sexist old-school romance scenes.

Book Source: I bought this as a garage sale last summer.

2 comments:

  1. Back in the day I read all of Rosemary Rogers books and loved them...These were the classic 'Bodice Rippers' but still great...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was my first Rosemary Rogers book and I enjoyed the high energy plot twists and turns. BUT...the so-called hero, Steve, is the equivalent of a male slut. The hero turned from being virile to disgusting after awhile. He just couldn't keep it in his pants! The constant bickering between Steve and Ginny wore on me too. The only thing that kept me going was the fast paced plot but writing in the context of a war is an easy way to achieve that. It's almost unbelievable a relationship could be this sadistic and still prevail!

    ReplyDelete