Monday, September 23, 2013

The Never List by Koethi Zan




Title: The Never List
Author: Koethi Zan
Read by: Kristin Sieh
Publisher: Penguin Audio
Length: Approximately 8.5 hours (7 CDs)
Source: Penguin Audio Review Copy – Thank-you!

I don’t think I will be able to sleep again after listening to The Never List.  The Never List is a great suspense story that seemed ripped from today’s headlines.  That feeling was actually an accident as this book was written before the real-life rescue of the three kidnapping victims (Michelle Knight, Gina Dejesus, and Amanda Berry) in Cleveland.

In The Never List, it has been ten years since Sarah escaped from her captivity in the basement of a madman.  She was able to lead to the rescue of two other women from the basement, but her childhood best friend, Jennifer, was killed before the rescue and her body has never been recovered.  Now afraid that her kidnapper will be released during parole, and wanting to discover where Jennifer was buried, Sarah starts on a journey to find the truth.  At this point in her life, Sarah lives basically alone in an apartment in New York and rarely ventures outside.  It is a monumental undertaking for her to start this journey.  She discovers that once she starts, the mystery is far deeper and far reaching then she could have ever imagined. 

The suspense in this book was great and kept me on the edge.  It was fantastic for making my journey to and from work seemingly sped by.  Kristen Sieh was a great narrator and did fantastic voices for the characters.  Overall, if you are looking for a great tail that will give you the shivers as we move towards Halloween, I highly recommend this novel.

3 comments:

  1. Glad to know you enjoyed this... I have a review copy, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds very spooky! I'll certainly check it out if I'm in the mood for a good thriller. :) It's kind of a short listen too, which is nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mike, you have learned my secret - I love short listens as well! Sometimes I'll pick shorts ones first on purpose just because I don't want to settle in to a 15 CD book.

    It is spooky and a great book for this month!

    ReplyDelete