Friday, January 17, 2014

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen



I read Pride and Prejudice over the Christmas holiday in a final celebration of the bicentennial of the publication of the book.  Unfortunately I didn’t get my review posted in the bicentennial year, but this still works . . . hopefully.  I am not going to write a full depth review on a synopsis of the story, as I have reviewed the story overall in previous years.

Pride and Prejudice is one of my favorite books of all time and it is always a joy to reread a well-loved book.  Who cannot help to love the story of Elizabeth Bennet and Mr. Darcy?  Austen’s ironic humor in the book and her wonderful characters are sheer perfection. I loved rereading many of my favorite passages and quotes.

 To celebrate the bicentennial, I purchased a new copy of Pride and Prejudice.  It was one of the Penguin Classics newer cool retro hardcover versions complete with a ribbon bookmark (Pictured above).   My paperback copy of Pride and Prejudice is starting to fall apart so it was a good time for an update.  The update had a new introduction by Vivien Jones at the start and the original Penguin Classics Introduction by Tony Tanner at the end.  It also included various notes on meanings of different phrases in the text that was noted with numbers that were referenced in the back of the book (notes).  I found the ribbon quite helpful for looking everything up as I went through.  I also enjoyed both introductions, although as with most introductions, I wouldn’t actually read it unless I had read the novel.  Otherwise, the author ruins the plot of the book for you, or you don’t understand half of the references as you haven’t read the book yet!

Overall, if you haven’t read Pride and Prejudice – what are you waiting for?   And if you are looking for a new copy, this hard cover has a nice price, classy cover, and great references.

Book Source:  I purchased this book on Amazon.com

No comments:

Post a Comment