Monday, June 25, 2018

My Father’s Dragon by Ruth Stiles Gannett


My Father’s Dragon is a creative story that will fire the imaginations of both adults and children alike.  The first of a trilogy, this classic book was new to me.

Elmer Elevator (the narrator’s father) learns of a magical island from a talking cat called Wild Island where animals are keeping a baby dragon prison.  Elmer makes his way to Wild Island and uses his wits to charm the animals and make his way around them with his goal ever in mind to rescue the dragon.

This is the summer pick for the Bookworms Book Club my seven-year-old daughter is in at the library.  She loved this book as did her ten-year-old brother who lingered to hear the tale during Mom and daughter story time.  I also brought this book along with me to Girl Scout camp and it had the opposite effect of putting the girls to sleep as they kept wanting to read more of the story.

I enjoyed that it was such an original and charming tale.  The illustrations were fabulous as well.  I had never heard of this series before, but Penelope and I just picked up the second book.

Overall, My Father’s Dragon is a delightful short children’s book that is a good beginning chapter book.  It has a great storyline that will entice older children and adults as well.

Book Source:  Kewaunee Public Library

No comments:

Post a Comment