Tuesday, December 8, 2009

These Old Shades by Georgette Heyer

Mistaken identity, intrigue, and romance are only a few of the plot lines that make These Old Shades a fascinating read. Justin Alastair, the Duke of Avon, is a handsome, clothes obsessed, self-professed rake. He literally runs into Leon, a young urchin who is escaping his abusive brother one evening. Alastair rescues Leon, takes him under his wing, and finds a part of himself that he never knew existed – a nurturing, fatherly side. He also knows a dangerous secret about Leon that could help him to defeat his mortal enemy.

I love Georgette Heyer. I first discovered her novels three years ago when I was browsing at my local library. I can’t believe I hadn’t discovered her before that time. She writes captivating regency romances that are the next best thing to a new Jane Austen novel. Her descriptions and knowledge of period detail is spot-on and wonderful.

These Old Shades is set slightly before the Regency period and before the French Revolution. The book mostly took place in France and I loved reading about intrigue amongst the upper echelons. I also loved how Justin Alastair and his brother Rupert were so clothes obsessed. I could just see Justin with his quizzing glass raised, with his lavender coat, and jeweled high heels. It definitely makes for a unique main character.

The characters were very interesting and I liked the mystery. The book did run a bit slow in some sections, but overall it was a great read. I highly recommend this book and all Georgette Heyer novels to lovers of historical fiction, and especially regency romance. If you are looking for something new after the end of the Everything Austen Challenge, a Heyer novel might just be the thing.

I love the inside covers of this book and how it shows all of the covers of the newly released Heyer novels. They are very nice looking. I am really happy that Sourcebooks is releasing Georgette Heyer’s novels in such a great format.

Book Source: Review Copy from Sourcebooks. Thank-you!

8 comments:

  1. I keep reading all these great reviews of Georgette Heyer books but I haven't read any which makes me sad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just started reading Georgette Heyer, a bit reluctantly, three months ago and now both my husband and I are hooked. I think we'll read this one next. We read them aloud to each other, laughing hysterically all the while. She's great fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I just heard of Georgette Heyer a few months ago. But now I know which book to start with!! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed your review, Laura! I have just finished my first Georgette Heyer novel this morning! I loved it! I read Devil's Cub and it seems to have some of the characters in your book. It had the Duke and Lord Rupert. I loved Lord Rupert with his "Egad!" and "Fiend Sieze You!" The dialogue is not as genteel asJane Austen, but I was laughing out and exclaiming to my husband "Thunder and turf!"

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll have to read Devil's Cub next - I would love to read more about these characters!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful review, as usual. I will keep an eye out for Georgette Heyer novels.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooo Devil's Cub. Soooo good! This one was excellent too. I love this author. Black Sheep is probably my favorite though. But it's hard. She has so many good ones! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I will have to check into her books. This one looks great! Thanks for your review.

    ReplyDelete