Monday, February 8, 2010

The Masqueraders by Georgette Heyer

The Masqueraders is a fun tale of adventurers that is filled with romance, disguises, swash buckling duels, and highwaymen. I love Georgette Heyer and I usually say that her novels are the next best thing to Jane Austen, but The Masqueraders is not one of her regency novels. This novel is set just after the Jacobite rebellion in 1740’s England.

Prudence and Robin Tremaine had a unique upbringing by their adventurer father, where disguise and good fashion sense were key. After participating in the failed Jacobite rebellion, the brother and sister journey to England, only with Prudence disguised as Peter Merriot and Robin disguised as Miss Kate Merriot. The two start off their adventures by rescuing a damsel in distress and then become the toast of London society. Complications ensue when both find themselves falling in love. How will they be able to express their love when they are disguised? Their adventurer father also comes to town with a new plot in hand.

While I was a bit confused at the beginning of this novel, I soon found myself swallowed up by the fun. I was unable to put the book down as I really wanted to see how it would all come together at the end. The action sequences of the novel were great with rescues, duels, etc. I could see this book as a great movie. The swashbuckling adventures reminded me strongly of The Scarlet Pimpernel.

Overall, The Masqueraders is an adventure not to be missed! It is a fun filled adventure with unique characters. I also love Georgette Heyer’s style of writing, and like seeing a slightly different setting for this work.

I also love a good cover, and Sourcebooks has a beautiful one on The Masqueraders. I like looking at the inside cover of all of the beautiful Heyer covers Sourcebooks has put out. If you also are a lover of Heyer, check out The Classic Circuit in March, which will be featuring a month long look in Heyer’s novels. I will be reviewing The Foundling on March 23rd!

Book Source: Review Copy from Sourcebooks. Thank-you!

8 comments:

  1. Laura, I have not read anything by Heyer, but I'd like to because of your enticing reviews of her work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Her books seem amazing...I can't believe I've never read anything by her!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm just starting to explore Heyer's non-Regency novels myself, and this one sounds like so much fun. Plus, having read the Outlander series, more on the Jacobite rebellion definitely makes this appealing.

    I wonder if all of Heyer's novels are confusing at the beginning...they seem to always take me awhile to get into.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am looking forward to reading this. So many good things have been said about it. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a fun one. I'm participating in the March tour because I have never read anything by Heyer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have gotta get me some Heyer!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoyed this one too! Lovely review!

    Congrats you have been awarded!
    http://janeaustenreviews.blogspot.com/2010/02/prolific-blogger-award-and-oh-la-la.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Always looking for some good Heyer. Haven't tried this one on yet. Her funny sayings always crack me up though, something like you whackerdoodle!
    Great review of this one!

    ReplyDelete