Tuesday, January 29, 2013

The Next Thing on My List by Jill Smolinski

I suddenly have found myself quite a few books behind again on reviews. I apologize, not only the start of the spring semester, but having my entire family down and out with the flu for the past few weeks has gotten me behind again.


June Parker joined Weight Watchers to shed ten unwanted pounds. She gave a ride home to a new life-time member, Marissa, and they both were involved in tragic car accident. June finds a list Marissa had in the car which has the “20 Things to Do by my 25th Birthday.” After meeting Marissa’s brother at the cemetery a few months after her death, June decides to finish the list by Marissa’s 25th birthday. What she finds that in order to achieve Marissa’s list, she is also changing her life, for the better.

I really enjoyed this book. It was a fun, quick book to read, but it the storyline also went in several unexpected directions. I really liked how it was a story of someone that basically had their life in a rut that was able to make the best of a terrible accident and change her life for the better.

The Next Thing on My List was a great January pick for the FLICKS Book and Movie Club. It was a consensus in the club that we all enjoyed the book, but we differed over what would be on our list of items we would want to complete by a certain age/before death. Travel seemed to be the most popular choice and was mine as well. I also would like to write a novel, but my only writing seems to be this blog or lesson plans these days!

Overall, if you are looking for a funny, positive book, I’d recommend The Next Thing on My List.

Book Source: The Kewaunee Public Library

1 comment:

  1. I really liked this book Laura...reminds me that I need to take a look at my own list!

    ReplyDelete