Monday, November 11, 2013

Venetia by Georgette Heyer


















Title: Venetia
Author: Georgette Heyer
Read by:  Richard Armitage
Publisher: Naxos Audio
Length: Approximately 4 hours and 51 minutes (Abridged)
Source: MP3 Audio through Wisconsin Public Library Consortium – Overdrive on my Droid

I loved Venetia.  Venetia is a spirited heroine who lives out in the country taking care of her younger brother and waiting for her elder brother’s return from the continent.  She is beautiful and spirited, but living in limited circles, has been unable to find a suitor.  One day the mysterious and handsome Lord Damerel returns to his nearby estate.  The two meet and instant sparks fly.  Lord Damerel has a scandalous past, but Venetia doesn’t care a whit for it.  After her older brother’s new wife returns and takes over care of the estate, Venetia finally gets a chance to go to London and experience society.  She also plans a way to make Lord Damerel forget his past and move on to a future, with her.

I loved Richard Armitage’s narration.  I could listen to it all day long.  And even better, he would make the perfect Lord Damerel in a Hollywood version of this novel.  Please Hollywood – it would be wonderful!

6 comments:

  1. I should check if my local library carries Georgette Heyer audiobooks. I love listening to regency novels on audio.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I only wish there were more of them, I love regency novels on audio too. Heyer's novels are already excellent, but having a great narrator like Richard Armitage really puts these novels in a high category of excellence.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laura, I enjoyed your concise review which features your enthusiasm. This does sound terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read Venetia a few years ago, and liked it well enough...just another Heyer. I listened to Venetia last year and loved it....I owe the transformation to Richard Armitage's gorgeous reading. I have all four Heyers that he did on my iphone and listen to them when I need a romantic fix!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I should buy them at some point too - I would really like to listen to them over again without the wait from the library!

    ReplyDelete