Monday, November 11, 2013

Smoke Screen by Sandra Brown



Title: Smoke Screen
Author: Sandra Brown
Read by:  Victor Slezak
Publisher: Simon & Schuster Audio
Length: Approximately 5 hours – 5 CDs (Abridged)
Source: This was a birthday present from my best friend Jenn

My best friend Jenn knows that most of my reading these days is actually through audiobooks.  With a hectic job and three small kids, the most time I have to sit down and “read” is on my two hours of commute time per day.  Knowing this, she thoughtfully gave me Smoke Screen by Sandra Brown for my birthday.

Smoke Screen is a fast paced mystery, one of my favorite types of stories to listen to on a long drive.  Britt Shelley wakes up one day naked and in bed with an ex-flame, Jay Burgess, a detective in the Charleston police department.  As Britt tries to remember what exactly happened the night before, she showers and goes back to check on Jay, only to find that he is dead.  Britt soon finds herself in the cross hairs of an investigation that believes that she murdered Jay and also in the cross-hairs of the murderers who now want her dead.   Britt soon teams up inadvertently with Raley Gannon, Jay’s ex-friend who was framed for a crime he didn’t commit in the past. The two investigate the crime and come with some shocking conclusions.

I really enjoyed this mystery and have enjoyed Sandra Brown’s books in the past.  I will have to check out more for my drive!  The only flaw was in the narration of the novel.  I thought Victor Slezak was a serviceable, but uninspiring narrator.

No comments:

Post a Comment