Thursday, July 20, 2017

The Cottage at Firefly Lake by Jen Gilroy (TLC Book Tours)



Are you ever able to truly let go of the past?  As a teenager Charlotte Gibbs loved visiting the family cottage on Firefly Lake.  While her father was distant and off having affairs, Charlotte loved the simplicity of time spent at the lake with her mother and sister.  Most of all, she loved Sean Carmichael.  Friends as children, they grew into teenage lovers that imagined a world together.  Unfortunately, events took them in other directions.

Now eighteen years later, Charlotte is unexpectedly back. Now a war torn journalist, Charlotte is back with her sister and nieces to sell the family cottage after her mother’s death.  Sean is now a divorced Dad with a teenage son who still has feelings for Charlotte.  Will these two be able to resolve past differences?  And will Charlotte sell the cottage to a developer who will put the Carmichael’s out of business?

I thoroughly enjoyed this book.  It was a perfect light read for the car on a recent family vacation.  I enjoyed that both characters had depths and issues to work through.  Sean has the responsibilities of raising a son and keeping a family business together while Charlotte has her own demons from her PTSD to work though.  I was intrigued by the storyline that you aren’t quite sure why the two of them broke up and I really wanted to know.  As the story progressed, it pealed by the layers until the full story was told.
 
The Cottage at Firefly Lake is an enjoyable romance with intriguing characters and storyline. It’s the perfect light read for your summer vacation.

Book Source:  Review Copy as part of the TLC Book Tour.  Thank-you!

 The Cottage at Firefly Lake is the first book in the Firefly Lake series. The next book, Summer on Firefly Lake, comes out on July 25, 2017.

8 comments:

  1. Thanks for hosting me on this tour, Laura. I appreciate you reading and reviewing 'The Cottage at Firefly Lake.'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you! I really enjoyed reading your book and look forward to reading more from you in the future!

      Delete
  2. I haven't had a chance to do any summer-themed reading yet this summer, but this book looks like one I need to make time for!

    Thanks for being a part of the tour!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really need the light read amongst the heavy murder mysteries!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean, Mystica. I need what I call "palate-cleansing" reads too. Thanks for reading and commenting.

      Delete
    2. I have the same problem where I read a lot of heavy books and then need to "lighten up" with something else.

      Delete
  4. Laura, I'm glad you enjoyed this book so much. Wonderful review! It does sound perfect for the summer.

    ReplyDelete