Thursday, September 15, 2011

Go the F#$k to Sleep by Adam Mansbach and Illustrated by Ricardo Cortes

I am a sleep deprived parent. Ben and I have three wonderful children. Luckily, our eldest son, Kile sleeps just fine, but unfortunately our 3-year old son Daniel, and 11-month old daughter, Penelope, do not.


Daniel is famous for his excuses on why he can’t go to bed at night. While I’m nursing Penelope, I think Ben marches Danny back to his room approximately 100 times. He also likes to slip into bed with us at some point in the night so we are suddenly awoken by a kicking boy that Ben has to carry back to his bed.

Penelope rarely sleeps through the night and often awakens hungry. Nursing a baby throughout the night is tiring. I just want a full night of sleep someday.

Therefore, when I saw the book Go the F#$k to Sleep on the non-fiction best-sellers list in Entertainment Weekly, I knew I must read it. Maybe someone would understand the kind of life Ben and I are leading right now. I reserved it at the library, and when it came in I think I shocked the Liberians.

Ben and I read the book and thought it was hilarious. The wording and pictures look like a typical, children’s night time story, but it is definitely not. Go the F#$k to Sleep is the story of one dad’s adventure trying to get his child to stay in bed sleeping. He is getting more than slightly frustrated by the constant excuses by his child, and may have rather profane thoughts.

Ben’s favorite passage was, “The owls fly forth from the treetops. Through the air, they soar and they sweep. A hot crimson rage fills my heart, love. For real, shut the f#$k up and sleep.”

Go the F#$k to Sleep is a book that any sleep deprived parent will appreciate and will illicit more than a few chuckles.

Has anyone else read this book? What are your thoughts?

Book Source: The Kewaunee Public Library

1 comment:

  1. My husband just listened to the audio version and really liked it. He wants me to try it next.

    So, 11 months old and still night feeding? I was hoping that would be over by then. Lol. My one and only is 6 months old. Sometimes I am lucky and she will sleep through the night but not very often these days.

    ReplyDelete