Friday, March 7, 2014

After I’m Gone by Laura Lippman



I love Laura Lippman.  Her novels intrigue me and leave me pondering the story long after I have read the last page.  I discovered her as an author a couple of years ago.  I look forward to her new novels and I need to catch up on her previous works as well.

In After I’m Gone, Felix Brewer is a con artist with a magic touch that makes money.  Unfortunately it also lands him in trouble and he takes off to parts unknown to avoid arrest.  He leaves behind his beloved wife Bambi and three daughters, Linda, Rachel, and Michelle with no means of support.  He also leaves behind his mistress, Julie. When Julie goes missing ten years to the date after Felix, most people assume she has gone to join him.   Until her remains are discovered in a park and the mystery deepened.

Sandy Sanchez, a retired Baltimore Detective, picks up the cold case of Julie’s murder in hopes of not only solving the case, but also of making some money.  Sandy soon finds himself obsessed with the case and closer to the answer than anyone has ever been.  

The novel switches back and forth between Sandy’s investigation in current day to the past and how Felix and Bambi met and the lives that his ladies lead once he is gone.  His disappearance affects the future for how they all live.  And they are always hindered with the question of, where is Felix?  Is he still alive?  I found myself riveted by this mystery and really wanting to know the answer.  I also loved the story of the women and how they moved on without Felix.  I thought the ending of the novel was masterful.  I highly recommend this novel.  Not only is it a great mystery, but it was a good character study and also a good study on what family truly means.

Source:  Review copy from William Morrow.  Thank-you!

3 comments:

  1. Laura, I'm glad you enjoyed this novel so much. I have a copy of And When She was Good waiting for me. I hope to read it fairly soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Character studies, particularly in relation to families, are something I love most in books! I also think those make great book club books.

    Thanks for being on the tour!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked Lippman's previous work and am looking forward to this read.

    ReplyDelete