Tuesday, December 2, 2014

The Secret Diary of Lizzie Bennet by Bernie Su and Kate Rorick



Title: The Secret Diary of Lizzie Bennet
Author: Bernie Su and Kate Rorick
Read by: Ashley Clements
Publisher:
Simon and Shuster Audio
Length: Approximately 10 hours
Source: Simon and Shuster Audio Digital Review Copy – Thanks!

I’ll admit that I watched the first few episodes of The Lizzie Bennet Diaries on YouTube and enjoyed them, but have not have the time to watch the entire series.  Therefore I am reviewing this audiobook as stand-alone book.  

I loved this audiobook.  I thought The Secret Diary of Lizzie Bennet was a great reimagining of Pride and Prejudice for modern times. It kept the main story of Pride and Prejudice in tack with a few new twists to update it for our times.  Lizzie Bennet is making a video diary project as part of her grad student thesis.  In her video diary, she explores her quirky family and the events of their lives as they unfold over a year.  Her mother has southern charm and an obsession for marrying off her daughters.  Her older sister Jane is beautiful, mellow, and hard working in the fashion world.  Jane falls in love with rich and handsome Bing Lee much to her mother’s happiness, but Bing Lee’s friend William Darcy drives Lizzie insane.  Lizzie is also annoyed by her flighty sister Lydia.  Her best friend Charlotte Lu helps her with the video diaries and keeps her grounded.  

Ashley Clements was a wonderful narrator and was the voice of Lizzie Bennet to me.  I highly recommend this audiobook to both lovers of Pride and Prejudice and those who have not read it before and are looking for a good light read.  I just wish this book didn’t have to end!

3 comments:

  1. Laura, this sounds like a fun audiobook! I'm glad you enjoyed The Secret Diary of Lizzie Bennet. Terrific review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got to watch these too. This would be a fun audio. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete