Friday, July 27, 2018

Little House in the Big Woods by Laura Ingalls Wilder




Title: Little House in the Big Woods
Author: Laura Ingalls Wilder
Read by: Cherry Jones with Pa’s Fiddle performed by Paul Woodiel
Publisher: Harper Children’s Audio
Length: Approximately 3 hours and 41 minutes
Source: Kewaunee Public Library

If you are a follower of this blog, you know that I LOVE Laura Ingalls Wilder.  Little House in the Big Woods was one of the choices for the Kewaunee Library family read this summer.  We picked up the audiobook for our trip last weekend to Iowa.  It had been eight years since I read it with my oldest and a couple of years since I read it with my youngest, so it felt like a good time to hear the story again.  For a review of the overall story, please refer to my 2011 review and 2016 review.

The audiobook was wonderful and enjoyable for the entire family.  Just like when he was 4 years old, 12-year-old Kile was most entranced by Pa and his stories.  He in particular hushed us during the chasing of Grandpa by the panther.  The boys feigned indifference to the book, but it was funny to see them engaging in the story as it progressed.  They were more engaged this time around then seven-year-old Penelope, but I believe that is because she had more recently read the story. 

I really enjoyed Cherry Jones as a narrator.  She had a soothing voice and she also provided different voices for the character.  My favorite part of this audiobook though was when Cherry Jones sang the songs and Paul Woodiel played the fiddle music for them.  It was wonderful.

Little House in the Big Woods is a classic and works great as an audiobook to listen to with the family and keep them entertained.  The boys loved Pa’s stories and Penelope loved the story of Laura.

2 comments:

  1. I like the later books in this series best, but they're all good. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all of them! I do think Wilder grew as an author the further she wrote into the series . . . and I love the romance between Laura and Almanzo in the later books!

    ReplyDelete