Wednesday, June 9, 2021

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen


 

Title:  Pride and Prejudice

Author: Jane Austen

Read by:  Alison Larkin

Publisher: British Classic Audio and BMA

Length: Approximately 13 hours and 29 minutes

Source: Purchased from Audible.

 Pride and Prejudice is my go-to book for a relaxing read.  It’s a book I’ve read many times and enjoyed and will continue to enjoy into the future.

I’ve reviewed this novel several times on this blog, so I won’t go into a detailed review here.  I do love listening to it as an audiobook.  Austen was meant to be read out loud as it was in her original time to her family.  Every time I reread Austen; I always get different points out of it. My random thoughts this time were as follows:

  •         I just love Elizabeth Bennet. Her personality just shines off of the page.  I love that she has her own opinion and doesn’t just follow others.  I also love her wit.
  •          Mr. Darcy’s change is so wonderful.  He is certainly dismayed by Elizabeth probably being the first person in his life to tell him that he wasn’t always behaving properly.  I like that he reflected on it and worked to rectify the situation.
  •          I felt so bad for Jane.  When Bingley came back, she wasn’t sure what to do.  Were things going to pick up again?
  •         I get so used to watching the movies, that I forget just how long the ending is in Pride and Prejudice.  There is so much good detail that I enjoy that the movies all cut out.
  •         I always loved Mr. Bennet in my teenage years, but I get more annoyed by him with every read of this book.  He is funny, but he certainly is indifferent to the problems in this family.

 Alison Larkin is a wonderful narrator.  I enjoy her light British accent and soothing tones.  Her mannerisms and voices for the characters are wonderful.  I always look for her as a narrator now when I’m searching for audiobooks.

There are also Regency songs sung by Alison Larkin at the end of this audiobook that I enjoyed.

Overall, Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen is a wonderful book to treasure and the audiobook by Alison Larkin is excellent.

2 comments:

  1. I just picked up an annotated version of P&P. I'm looking forward to reading it this summer. I also love the Audible rendition with Rosamund Pike. I'll probably listen to it again soon. Glad you reread or relisten frequently!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rosamund Pike would be a good narrator. I should check that one out!

      Delete