Thursday, January 19, 2023

Flying Solo by Linda Holmes


 Do you collect anything unique?  My Great-Grandparents had some wooden ducks that they collected, and I have some of them displayed in the porch of my home.  This book made me think of them!

Flying Solo was the January Pick for the Page-turners Book Club at the Kewaunee Public Library.  We had a good discussion of this book at our meeting.

Laurie Sassalyn was the only girl growing up with five brothers.  Her Great-Aunt Dot’s house was always a welcome retreat to visit.  Now years later, Laurie has recently cancelled her wedding and is about to turn forty.  Her Great-Aunt has passed away and she has returned home to go settle Aunt Dot’s estate.  Amongst Aunt Dot’s possessions, she finds a mysterious wooden duck.  Why did her Great Aunt Dot have it hidden in a trunk?  As Laurie reconnects with her first love, she works to solve the mystery of the duck.

I enjoyed this novel’s theme of a strong successful woman being okay with living on her own be it Great-Aunt Dot or Laurie.  They aren’t defined by marriage or kids, but find happiness with their friends, family, travels and jobs.  I was mostly roped in by the mystery of the duck and loved seeing how that story played out.  The romance was good, but my book club agreed that the ending was too ambiguous on that end.

I was intrigued to find out the author of this novel, Linda Holmes is one of the hosts of the podcast Pop Culture Happy Hour.  I had just started to listen to and enjoy this podcast about a month ago.  Do you have any favorite podcasts?

Favorite Quote:

“You don’t have to be single to be independent.  And you don’t have to be married to be loved.”

Book Source:  The Kewaunee Public Library.  Thank-you!

No comments:

Post a Comment