Tuesday, April 18, 2023

The Moving Finger by Agatha Christie

 


Title:  The Moving Finger

Author:  Agatha Christie

Narrated by:  Richard E. Grant

Publisher: Harper Audio

Length: Approximately 6 hours and 23 minutes

Source: Checked out with Hoopla through the Kewaunee Public Library.  Thank-you!

 

Have you ever received a Poison Pen letter?  I luckily have not.  I wonder how common they are in this day and age.  Is Cyber Bullying the 21st century Poison Pen letter?

The Moving Finger was the March selection for #ReadChristie2023.  I finished it the morning of April 1st so I was one day late!!

Jerry is a wounded aviator from World War II and needs to recuperate.  Lymstock seems the perfect village to rehabilitate in with his sister, Joanna.  As they get to know people in the village, they receive a poison pen letter insinuating that they are not brother and sister.  Others in town also receive such letters.  They seem to spread gossip and spite but are not altogether accurate.  Mrs. Symmington is found dead after she received one such letter and it appears to be from suicide.  Was it suicide or murder?

I really enjoyed Jerry and Joanna and their personalities.   It really worked well having them as outsiders to the community.  Through them we are introduced to the characters and learn their quirks and history through their visit to the village. Jerry is the narrator for the novel and I enjoyed his perspective. Christie really threw me through a loop with this once as I thought that Mrs. Symington’s daughter (and Jerry’s love interest) Megan was guilty the entire time. I was so wrong, but I love how Christie tricks me every time.

This is called a Miss Marple mystery, but Miss Marple is hardly in this book.  I think the mystery could have been solved without her.

Richard E. Grant was a wonderful narrator.  This was a fun audiobook and an enjoyable listen.

1 comment:

  1. I loved Jerry and Joanna too....I found myself wishing they were featured in another book. And yes I totally agree that calling it a Miss Marple mystery is a bit of a stretch. So strange that part! I am also reading Sparkling Cyanide this month :)

    ReplyDelete