Wednesday, December 27, 2023

Endless Night by Agatha Christie

 


Title:  Endless Night

Author:  Agatha Christie

Narrated by:  Hugh Fraser

Publisher: HarperAudio

Length: Approximately 6 hours and 14 minutes

Source: Checked out with Hoopla through the Kewaunee Public Library.  Thank-you!

What season is your favorite?  Do you like winter?  It seems like an endless night to me with it being dark shortly after 4 PM in Northeastern Wisconsin.  I enjoy it when it snows, but I prefer the sunshine of the other seasons.

I listened to the audiobook of Endless Night by Agatha Christie for #ReachChristie2023 in October. The overall theme for #ReadChristie2023 is Methods and Motives.  Endless Night was my read in November for the motive of Greed.

Michael Rogers dreams of building his dream home on a piece of land he has found in Kingston Bishop, but he does not have the funds.  While walking by the property, he meets Ellie.  They fall in love and Michael is surprised to learn that she is an American heiress.  After they wed, they hired architect Rudolf Santonix to design their dream home.  Their marriage seems idyllic except for a local legend that says their property is cursed.  A local old woman confronts Ellie more than once to warn her off the property.  After a death does occur on the property, was it murder?  If so, who did I and why?

I really liked how unique this novel was compared to Agatha Christie’s other novels.  I enjoy how she kept experimenting with her writing throughout her lifetime.  This novel read like a gothic romantic suspense novel with the murder occurring very late in the story.  The novel is narrated by Michael telling the story.  I really liked the conclusion of this novel and how it related to her other works.  I don’t want to say more than that, as I really liked the ending and surprise of this novel.

What is even more impressive to me is that Agatha Christie was seventy-seven years old when she wrote this novel.  It received critical acclaim and is considered the best of her later works.

I have been enjoying reading Agatha Christie’s novels as part of the #ReadChristie2023 challenge and I am looking forward to #ReadChristie2024!

I enjoyed the audiobook narration by Hugh Fraser.


1 comment:

  1. How great that she was able to keep things fresh for that long!!

    Thanks for sharing your review with the Historical Fiction Reading Challenge!

    ReplyDelete