Monday, March 25, 2024

The Antique Hunter’s Guide to Murder by C.L. Miller

 


Title: The Antique Hunter’s Guide to Murder

Author: C.L. Miller

Narrated by:  Emilia Fox

Publisher: Simon & Schuster Audio

Length: Approximately 11 hours and 3 minutes

Source: Review Copy from Simon & Schuster Audio.  Thank you @simonandschuster @BookClubFavorites #BookClubFavorites for the free books!

Do you collect antiques?  I love antiques and have enjoyed going to antique shops since I was a kid.  I live in a historic home now, so the gathering of antiques continues.

Freya Lockwood is a woman in her forties and an empty nester.  After a traumatic experience in her twenties, she put away her beloved career as an antique hunter to live a quiet nondramatic life in the background.  While she regrets her “safe” marriage, she doesn’t regret her beloved daughter.  After her mentor Arthur is murdered, she discovers that Arthur has left her a mysterious job assessing antiques.  Will this lead her to Arthur’s killer?

My thoughts on this delightful mystery:

·       I really enjoyed the unique angle of antique hunting that is tied in with the mystery. It made this book a lot of fun.

·       The characters are great.  I especially loved eccentric Aunt Carole.  She is a hoot!

·       The primary setting of this novel is at a remote English manor which gave this an Agatha Christie mixed with the Antiques Road Show vibe.

·       There were multiple viewpoints, but the main narrator is Freya throughout the novel.

·       I enjoyed that the two main leads were older ladies.  Although I feel pained saying older ladies as Freya is my contemporary!

·       I did not guess the ending of this mystery which is always enjoyable for me.

·       Emilia Fox is an excellent audiobook narrator.  I have enjoyed her narration in the past.

·       There is an interview with the author at the end of the audiobook that was very enjoyable.  The author’s mother is an expert with BBC’s Antique Roadshow.

·       I also was excited that in the interview, it was announced that there will be a follow-up to this book.  It did set up the ending perfectly to continue in the second book.

Overall, The Antique Hunter’s Guide to Murder by C.L. Miller is an enjoyable cozy mystery that has an Agatha Christie mixed with the Antiques Road Show vibe.  I loved the characters of Freya and Aunt Carole and I can’t wait for their next adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment