Sunday, April 14, 2024

The True Meaning of Easter by Archbishop Fulton Sheen

 


Title:  The True Meaning of Easter

Author:  Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen

Narrated by:  Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen and Matthew Arnold

Publisher: Casscom Media

Length: Approximately 57 minutes

Source: Purchased from Amazon.com

 

Do you listen to or read any religious material during the Lent and Easter seasons?  I listened to this audiobook on Easter day and I’m finally getting around to posting my review on it now that it is the third Sunday of Easter.

As I stated in my review of The True Meaning of Christmas, Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen hosted a radio program from 1930 to 1950 and then a television program in the 1950s and 1960s as he also moved up the ranks of the Catholic church.  I have listened to an 18 CD collection of his talks called Life is Worth Living, which is the name of one of his television programs.  I have since purchased the same talks digitally and like to listen to them.  I find Archbishop Fulton Sheen to be a very gifted and inspiring speaker.  After listening to The True Meaning of Christmas, I was delighted to see that there was an Easter version.

In the True Meaning of Easter, Matthew Arnold reads out the biblical passages on the passion, death and resurrection of Christ which are followed by a related discussion by Archbishop Fulton Sheen.  In his distinctive style, Archbishop Fulton Sheen provides his teachings on the readings.  I liked his discussion and comparison of the gardens of Gethsemane and Eden and on the meaning and history of the sacrificial lamb.  He gave me a lot of deep information to think about that furthered my understanding.   I liked the music much better on this audiobook as compared to the Christmas one.  I think it’s because Gregorian chants were used at times, which I enjoy.

Overall, the reading of the passion, death, and resurrection of Christ from the Bible accompanied by the discussions on the significance by Archbishop Fulton Sheen were a meaningful experience perfect for Easter.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment