Tuesday, July 23, 2024

You Never Know by Tom Selleck

 


Do you have any comfort shows? 

During the COVID shutdown, my family rediscovered the original Magnum PI series from the 1980s.  I hadn’t watched it since I was a kid.  It held up well as a fun show with mystery and heart.  We all especially loved the Vietnam flashbacks.  I jumped at the chance to review Tom Selleck’s autobiography.

You Never Know is Tom Selleck’s personal story of his life and career mostly focusing on his acting career from the start through the 1980s. 

My thoughts on this memoir:

·       The book had a riveting start detailing an accident that Tom Selleck was in as a high schooler.  He was lucky to survive.  Did I hear the Magnum PI theme song in my head as I read this?  Yes, I did.

·       Selleck detailed his time as a college basketball player and in the National Guard.  He had moving thoughts on his college friend who died in Vietnam and finding his name on the Vietnam Memorial.

·       This book was an easy going read which matches Tom Selleck’s personality.

·       Great pictures were included.

·       This book detailed his acting career, mostly at the start and 1980s.  There is a little about his personal life including his ex-wife and son.  There was a lot more on the romance with his second wife; meeting, dating, and marriage.

·       The book had a lot of detail on the making of Magnum PI.  It was perfect for a lover of Magnum PI with all the details on how the overall show and individual episodes were made.

·       In the last chapter, Blue Bloods and the rest of his life is discussed.  Will there be a book two with more detail on his life after the 1980s?

·       I found it all to be fascinating.

·       It was fun reading about all the stars he worked with including a date with Mae West when he was a young man.

·       This was a polite book and I liked that.  Don’t read this book looking for dirt.

Overall, You Never Know by Tom Selleck is a fun, fascinating memoir for anyone that loves Tom Selleck and/or Magnum PI.

Book Source:  Review copy from Deyst an imprint of William Morrow Books. Thank-you!  Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the review. My favourite film would be anything from Jane Austen.

    ReplyDelete