Wednesday, October 2, 2024

The Shadow Key by Susan Stokes-Chapman (Bibliolifestyle Book Tour)

 


Thank you, Partner @bibliolifestyle @harperperennial for a review copy of The Shadow Key by Susan Stokes-Chapman.

What types of books do you like to read in the fall?  I love reading mysteries, thrillers, and anything with a Halloween vibe.  The Shadow Key was a Gothic historical mystery and fit right in with what I want to be reading in the fall.

In 18th century Wales, Dr. Henry Talbot took a job at the Plas Helyg estate after losing his prestigious job in London after a medical mishap.  He discovers the lady of the estate has mental troubles and is mostly bedridden.  Her daughter Linette is unconventional and likes to wear pants while working on the estate.  As Henry and Linette grow closer, Henry starts to realize that something is very wrong at the estate.  Will he figure out why and be able to help those at the estate?

My thoughts on this novel:

·       The Shadow Key had a dark and foreboding feeling as soon as the book began, which gave me great fall vibes.

·       The people of Wales are distrustful of a newcomer from London even though he was sent to help.

·       Copper mining has taken over the land and is performed in unsafe conditions.  I am always intrigued with books that include mining.

·       I loved the historical Gothic suspense and the atmosphere of the entire novel.  It reminded me of Mary Stewart and Victoria Holt novels that I have enjoyed in the past.

·       Merlin the dog was a favorite of mine in the novel.  He was a heroic dog and his story pulled at my heartstrings.

·       This novel does feature an insta love story line, which is not my favorite trope.  It is a closed-door romance.

·       The historical mystery was enjoyable.  There were some great plot twists at the end that surprised me.  I read this book slowly, but surely until the end when I really wanted to figure out what had happened.

·       I don’t want to go into details on the plot, as it is fun to experience the plot twists without knowing what will happen.

·       I have not read Pandora by this author, but I want to after finishing this book.

Overall, The Shadow Key is an engrossing historical mystery with great Gothic vibes and plot twists.

No comments:

Post a Comment