Thursday, October 1, 2026

The Witches of Cambridge by Alice Hoffman

 


Title:  The Witches of Cambridge

Author:  Alice Hoffman

Narrated by:  Mena Suvari

Publisher: Simon & Schuster Audio

Length: Approximately 12 hours and 50 minutes

Source: Thank-you to @simon.audio #SimonAudioInfluence for the audiobook review copy.

Who would you be if you could be a character from the book you’re currently reading?

In Cambridge Massachusetts in the 1950s, two women, Ava and Lauren, are recruited to live in the Lilith house.  They are both very different from each other.  Ava is a shy young woman from a small town in Maine and Lauren is from a wealthy Cambridge family.  The Lilith house holds the Lilith society which is a secret organization of witches that dates to Puritan times.  As women begin to disappear from the house, will Lauren and Ava figure out why?  Will Ava figure out the mystery of her past?  Will Lauren find out how to love both herself and others?

My thoughts on this novel:

·       This novel had a dreamy type of plot as in the plot meanders along as more of a character study with the mysteries tied up at the end.  I enjoyed the journey!

·       This was a Read with Jenna book pick.  I listened to Jenna’s podcast interview with the author, Alice Hoffman, and it was very interesting.  I learned that this is a start to a new series, and I was very excited!

·       Mena Suvari was an excellent audiobook narrator.

·       I loved the dogs in this novel.  Ava has a black German Shepard / wolf named Jack.  He is a protector and follows her everywhere.  Another character, Lauren’s brother Lionel, rescues a Beagle from a testing lab and named him Houdini.  Houdini is an excellent Beagle name.

·       While this novel was primarily set in the 1950s, there were also letters found with the story of the first witch of Cambridge back in the Puritan days, 

·       The book related the witch trials of the past to the McCarthyism that was happening in the 1950s.

·       I really liked how Cotton Mather’s family was a part of the story through time and their known hatred and secret love of witches.  Jamie is Ava’s love interest and a Mather descendent.  I thought this was an inventive way to bring the Mather history into the novel. 

·       In this world, witches are real with magic.  They are different and the world wants to put them in asylums rather than to let them live in peace.

·       I would classify this story as magical realism, historical fiction, historical fantasy, witches, and dark academia.

Overall, The Witches of Cambridge by Alice Hoffman was an excellent atmospheric historical fantasy novel primarily set during the McCarthy era of the 1950s.  I love Alice Hoffman and greatly enjoyed this novel.  It would be a perfect read for the Halloween season.

No comments:

Post a Comment