Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Enchanted

Jenn and I had a girl's night out movie night the day after Thanksgiving and went and watched Enchanted.

Enchanted is the story of Giselle (Amy Adams), a cartoon perfect singing heroine that captures the love of a prince with her voice. Prince Edward (James Marsden) rescues her from an ogre and they decide to marry the next day. The prince's evil stepmother will lose control of the kingdom if the prince marries and therefore sends Giselle to the "real" world of New York City. Giselle is still able to sing and bring animals to her aid and make herself clothing out of curtains. These traits find her sadly out of place. She meets up with Robert Phillip (Patrick Demsey) and his daughter Morgan who let her stay at their place for the night despite misgivings. Robert has a long time girlfriend of five years named Nancy, but he finds himself starting to believe in true love again with Giselle. Prince Edward and the evil stepmother make their way to New York and Giselle is forced to make a decision, while Prince Edward learns the true nature of his stepmother.

I thought the movie was good. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't excellent. I guess I was expecting more out of it. I did have several laugh out loud moments during it, but it didn't play as a complete farce of Disney princess movies so it wasn't as comedic as it could have been. I think my main problem with the movie was the Giselle was one-dimensional with no depth. I find it strange that Ariel from The Little Mermaid and Belle from Beauty and the Beast have more depth and seem more realistic and they are just cartoons! A lot of that might be because Giselle seemed to have the most in common with Aurora from Sleeping Beauty, which is the weakest Disney princess.

I loved James Marsden as Prince Edward. He was quite funny. But I like him in about everything he is in. I wish for once he would be the main star and not the second fiddle! I know Patrick Demsey is "McDreamy" and all, but I really wasn't rooting for him that much . . . mostly because of Nancy. I did like how all strings were tied up at the end though.

Has anyone else seen this movie yet? What are your thoughts? I love Disney cartoons and chick flicks. This was an okay combination of the two, but I think it could have been better.

No comments:

Post a Comment