Monday, December 15, 2008

Lady of the Rose: A Novel of the War of the Roses by Sandra Worth

I read about Sandra Worth on J. Kaye Oldner's book blog. Unfortunately the only one of Worth's novels in my library system was Lady of the Roses. I would like to read more of her books so I think they are going on my future Christmas and birthday lists:-)

Lady of the Roses was a love story set during the English War of the Roses. Lancastrian Isobel meets Yorkist John Neville at a castle as she travels toward the court of King Henry VI and Queen Marguerite. Isobel and John share a dance and fall in love. Although the Queen exacts a high bride price for her, Isobel and John marry and live a life filled with ups and downs at War rages around them.

I thought this book was great. The characters were all very interesting and it was set during a fascinating period of English history. I had never heard of these historical personalities before, it was enjoyable to learn about the War of the Roses version of "Romeo and Juliet."

One of my all-time favorite books is Katherine by Anya Seton. Lady of the Roses continues the story of Katherine and John's descendents. If you ever read Katherine and wondered, what happens next, this is an excellent novel to read.

1 comment:

  1. I read this one earlier this year. LOVED IT! I am putting in a request for our library to get the rest of her books. She has two other series, I believe. I can't request purchases until after the new year. If they don't, I'll buy them and donate it. She is worth it!

    ReplyDelete