Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Confessions of a Shopaholic (2009)

I watched and enjoyed Confessions of a Shopaholic this past weekend. I am a fan of the Shopaholic series of books by Sophie Kinsella. Her books are light, fun reads that often have me laughing out loud.

Confessions of a Shopaholic is the story of Rebecca Bloomwood. She lives in Manhattan with her roommate Suze and has a deep obsession with shopping. While she is racking up great amounts of credit card debt, she can’t stop herself from buying the latest scarf or shoe. Through a drunken mix-up, she gets hired as a new voice at a financial magazine. Her editor, Luke Brandon, is a hot, smart guy that she soon finds herself falling in love with. Although she has many personal financial problems, her column that relates complex finances to everyday shopping strikes a cord and she wins wide acclaim. Will she be able to continue being “The Girl in the Green Scarf” or will her personal financial problems end her career and romance?

Confessions of a Shopaholic was a middle of the road chick flick. It was a funny enjoyable romp, as long as you aren’t looking for deep messages or take it too seriously. It followed the basic premise of the book, but there were many changes. One thing I did like was the mannequins talking Becky into buying more items. This did a good job of representing her inner dialogue which is very funny in the book. Overall, I still thought the book was much better than the movie.

I loved the actors in this movie. Isla Fisher is perfect as Becky and Hugh Dancy is a fantastic Luke Brandon. Becky’s parents were played by John Goodman and Joan Cusak. While they were very different from their book counterparts, they had some of the best lines and scenes in the movie. I wish we would have seen more of them! I didn’t think Joan Cusak looked old enough to be Isla Fisher’s mother.

Must see . . . I’d say no. But I’d watch it if it happened to be on TV and have a few laughs.

8 comments:

  1. Well-done review, Laura. I haven't read any books in the Shopaholic series, although my daughter has. As far as movies go, I'm looking forward to seeing The Time Traveler's Wife soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read the books either, but I found the movie lacking...it was OK, but nothing I'd watch again. Thanks for your review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read the books yet. I thought the movie was ok. I don't know that I'd see it again. Although Hugh Dancy is adorable. I found the film rather annoying actually. All the young women in the theater liked it though!! I think I was just too old. LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i like this series as well. although still have to read shopaholic and baby. sophie's other books are just as fun. the mixed reviews on this movie have prevented me from seeing the movie sooner. but i definitely want to.

    i have an award for you here:
    http://vvb32reads.blogspot.com/2009/08/your-blog-rocks-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is not a must see but i really liked it. I thought it was very funny and a cute movie.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am a big fan of Isla Fisher.I saw it in DVD but was very upset with the ratings by Rotten tomato and metacritic.Me too love the movie.Anyhow your review is good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm a big fan of Sophie Kinsella and her books. I enjoyed the movie as well, but, of course, the films never live up to the books (at least in my experience). I've yet to read her newest book, 'Twenties Girl', however, but I can't wait to finally get around to it.

    Another great read this year, which has the same light, entertaining feel as Kinsella's books, is a book called 'Knickles and Dimes'. Hilarious characters and a great story line; I'd recommend it!

    Anyway, thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the suggestion Jillian - I've added it to my reading list!

    ReplyDelete